Friday 2 October 2009

Week 4 Flat Nappies Revisited

I'm not going to hide the fact that I am a huge fan of shaped nappies, two part ones in particular. However I have thought recently that maybe I am too hard on the flat nappies. After all that style of nappy has been used successfully longer than any other. So with this in mind I decided to try the terry towels on my son again. Now that he's a busy 18 month old toddler, I thought it would be difficult but instead I was pleasantly surprised.

I found folding the flat nappy awkward initially simply because I was unsure how to fold it (keeping in mind that I was doing it from memory and the last time I used a flat nappy was over a year ago). I used the kite fold as it was the one my mum said she used on me. It's quite an easy fold to do and after a couple of goes I got it right. Evan was well behaved and I managed to get the nappy under him without it unfolding and the liner staying in place. I used the Nappy Nippa to fasten the nappy and a Tots Bots Velcro cover (my favourite cover blue with stars!) over the top. I like these covers, not just because they have a snazzy pattern, but they seem to have a generous fit. The cover worked well with the folded nappy.

Although the flat nappy was bulky on Evan when he was new, now that he is bigger it didn't seem all that bulky. I still prefer the shaped nappies but in an emergency I know I can always use the terry squares and with practice they can be just as easy to use as any shaped nappy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment