Saturday 10 October 2009

Week 5 A little accident

I write this with a certain amount of guilt but I feel it is important to say so others will learn from our mistake.

This week Evan had an accident. He tumbled out of his cot and landed on his head!

It was awful to watch but there was nothing I could have done. It was all over before I had realised what had happened. He was fine and was up walking around the furniture and laughing away just minutes after his fall and seemed to be unaware of what had happened. I think it affected me more than it did him. I was all ready to take him up A+E but I phoned our health visitor who told us not to worry as this sort of thing happens from time to time and he would probably be fine. She advised us to keep an eye on him and if he seemed unwell then to take him to the hospital. It shook me and my husband up though especially as the reason he fell was because we hadn't lowered the base of his cot. Suffice to say as soon as we were home from work that day the cot base was lowered. He can barely see over the top now and until he learns how to shimmy up the cot bars he won't be escaping/falling out.

So the moral of the story is, babies grow fast (sometimes faster than we realise), so make sure the cot base is at an appropriate height.

In case anyone was wondering, Evan is still fine. In fact I brought it up at Evan's appointment with the paediatrician yesterday and the doctor was unconcerned.


No comments:

Post a Comment