Tuesday 15 September 2009

Week 2: On our holidays


Although I live in Scotland, I'm not a native. I'm a Welsh girl originally and all my family live in South Wales. We don't see them as often as we would like but when we do go visit we usually fly. I know not great for the environment but certainly easier than driving with a baby, which took us 10 hours in the past. It takes an hour in the plane and we can leave after work.

When traveling we usually keep Evan in disposable nappies (Although I do always insist that they are the biodegradable type). Unfortunately Evan drank 3 cups of water before getting on the plane (He normally doesn't drink much) and did huge wee wees. The nappy just couldn't take this downpour and we were both soaked. This meant a nappy change in the plane toilet. I hate plane toilets but it wasn't as bad as I thought. There was a fold down piece of MDF to act as a changing table although no restraints, not that he could go far. He's a tall boy though and plane toilets are narrow. His legs ended up half way up the wall but I managed to get the new nappy on without too much incident.

While visiting family we always use disposable nappies because of their convenience. I'm not against disposables. They are great for holidays, but I think unnecessary for everyday use. I also find them fiddly to use (maybe because we don't use them all the time). The Velcro tabs on our two part nappies are so much quicker to do up. A few weeks ago Evan was in a disposable nappy. He is a bottom shuffler and was scooting around quite happily on the living room carpet. I had gone over to play with him when I noticed the outside of his nappy was wet! The disposable nappy was only wearing thin with all the bottom shuffling he was doing.

Evan had a great time visiting his grandma and bampa and was spoilt rotten. He was upset to leave them and was looking for them when we got on the plane. He couldn't understand why they weren't coming too. It was very sad. But I'm hoping that when he sees them next time he will have some memory of who they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment